To take advantage of some features of our technology, we may need to collect protected health information (PHI/ePHI) (Patient Health Information/electronic Patient Health Information) from you.
To comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, more commonly known as HIPAA; we will treat your PHI/ePHI as confidential information and not disclose it to anyone other than as necessary to provide you with products and services.
We may at times create a non-personal summary of your PHI/ePHI to be shared with healthcare professionals for medical purposes. If we create a non-personal summary, we will strictly follow HIPAA regulations, which require us to either: 1) get a prior signed authorization from you or 2) to make sure what is included in the case report does not contain any of the 18 health information identifiers noted in HIPAA regulations. A prior signed authorization from you is not required if none of the 18 identifiers, as listed and described below are used in the case report.
These identifiers include:
- Your name
- Your address, except that we can use your state as well as the initial 3 digits of a zip code unless the resulting aggregate of people living in zip codes beginning with those 3 digits is less than 20,000 people, in which case we will use 000.
- The month and day of any dates directly related to you, including such things as your birthday and admission and discharge dates; and all ages over 89 and all elements of dates (including year) indicative of such age, except that such ages and elements may be aggregated into a single category of age 90 or older
- Your phone numbers
- Your fax numbers
- Your email addresses
- Your social security number
- Your medical record numbers
- Your health insurance plan number
- Any account numbers
- Any certificate and/or license numbers
- Any vehicle identification numbers (VINs) or license plate numbers
- Any device identification numbers or serial numbers
- Any URLS (website addresses)
- Any IP numbers
- Any biometric readings or identifiers
- Any photos or related images showing the face of any associated individual
- Any other uniquely identifying number, characteristic, or code other than a reference number for the case file itself